Although it can be confusing figuring out how to use an Instant Pot trivet when you first see it, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how straightforward and versatile it is.
Whether you’re new to the Instant Pot community or just looking to incorporate another helpful accessory when cooking, you’ll find many practical uses for the trivet.
» You might like How to Clean a Burnt Instant Pot Liner.
» Check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Cheat Sheet so you never have to look up times again for your favorite foods you make in the pressure cooker. Print or bookmark it so you always have it handy!
The trivet raises food in the inner pot, and it will certainly elevate your dish to the next level, especially when it comes to easy cooking. If you want to steam veggies, boil eggs, try the pot-in-pot method, bake a cake, etc, this Instant Pot accessory is a great tool to have.
What is a Trivet for Instant Pot?
If you’re still wondering, “what is an Instant Pot trivet,” it is a rack that supports food or containers in the inner pot and keeps it above the liquid. Use this tool for steaming, pressure-steaming, and the pot-in-pot method (we’ll look at this a bit later in the article).
Most models are sold with an Instant Pot metal trivet with collapsible side handles inside the box, but you can also find the trivet in different designs. There are trivets without handles, as well as ones made of silicone. However, all designs serve a similar purpose.
How to Put a Trivet in the Instant Pot
This Instant Pot rack insert is simple to put in the inner pot. It has a round base that fits in the bottom of the pot. Most trivets also have handles that you can hold as you place the trivet inside. The handles rest against the walls of the pot and allow you to easily take your food in and out of the pot.
The handles do get hot after pressure cooking, so you’ll want to lift them out with a pot holder or silicon mitt.
How to Use the Trivet in the Instant Pot
The Instant Pot trivet helps with cooking a number of dishes, from yummy baby back ribs to steamed butternut squash. Simply place the trivet in the inner pot and pour your desired liquid in.
You’ll then put your ingredients or container on top of the rack, seal the Instant Pot lid, and follow your recipe instructions and cooking time.
Here are a few ways to use an Instant Pot and trivet to make a tasty treat:
- Pot-in-pot cooking – the pot-in-pot method is great for making dishes like steamed rice or reheating food with thick liquid. It also helps to avoid the dreaded Instant Pot burn warning message. It’s best to use an oven-safe container when using this cooking method.
- Double stacking – the trivet is super helpful when cooking two separate elements simultaneously. Try cooking some delicious potatoes with broth at the bottom and chicken wings on top.
- Pressure-cooked eggs – you can use the trivet to keep eggs above the water while making hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot. The eggs are actually steamed, not boiled.
- Steamed vegetables – the trivet helps to maximize nutrient retention while steaming veggies. You’ll also have a wonderful texture with a bit of crispiness to it. A few veggies to try are broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, and asparagus.
- Meat and poultry – the trivet is good to use when you want to cook meat or poultry separately from the sauce.
- Lasagna or cakes – Lasagna is cooked in a springform pan on top of the trivet, as is cake.
Why Use An Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is one of the most useful kitchen appliances you can buy, because it drastically cuts down on the cooking time for developing flavors in soups and stews, getting tough cuts of meat tender, and even baking a cheesecake. And there are many accessories that will help you get more out of your Instant Pot.
If you don’t have one yet, check out our guide on which one to buy. Also see our guide to How to Use an Instant Pot for more information.
- Don’t Have an Instant Pot Yet? This guide can help you choose the right one.
- See reviews and prices for Instant Pots on Amazon.
- Learn some great Instant Pot Tips & Tricks.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Instant Pot.
Start Using the Trivet Instant Pot Accessory
With a metal trivet, Instant Pot cooking just got a whole lot easier. Whether you want delectable steamed veggies or yummy home-baked bread, the trivet is a nifty accessory to have in the kitchen.
Now that you know what a trivet is and how to use it, the only thing left to do is decide what you’ll be making with it next. If you need some inspiration, check out these Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Pro Plus
Now you can control your pot wirelessly through an app. Cool-touch handles on the pot itself, and an automatic locking pressure release valve for greater safety. This one does it all.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest boards! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes! You can also find us on Facebook!
Pin it for later!
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite recipes over at A Food Lover’s Kitchen, and you’ll find air fryer recipes at Air Fry Anytime, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Angela is a talented home cook and an expert at creating delicious, nutritious meals that can be prepared quickly and easily using an Instant Pot.