This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is a delicious, hearty, and rich soup, packed with beans, chicken, and chili spices.
Instant pot chicken chili is a delicious dish that you can make in just 30 minutes. While we love tomato-based chili with beef, this white chicken chili is a really great alternative with similar, but different enough flavors that they’re unique.
The best part about this white chicken chili in the Instant Pot is that it’s super easy to make and it goes well with bread or tortillas for a complete meal for dinner or lunch. It’s also great as leftovers, so you can take it to work with you the next day.
» See a preview of how to make this chicken chili.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here is a detailed review of everything you need for this delicious soup:
- Cannellini beans: Commonly known as white kidney beans, cannellini beans are tender and creamy. Because they retain their texture and shape pretty well, they are ideal for this chili recipe. You could also use Great Northern Beans or pinto beans.
- Chicken broth: If you are using low-sodium chicken broth, don’t forget to add a little more salt to the chili. If you don’t have chicken stock available, you can use chicken bouillon dissolved in water.
- Chicken breast: Although I have used boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces, you can also use chicken thigh meat. You can also use turkey instead of chicken. It’s a great way to use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
- Onion: You can use either white or red onion, or leave them out if you don’t like onions.
- Corn: You can use corn on the cob kernels or canned corn. For me, it’s easiest to just open a can.
- Spices: Spices like cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder add a depth of flavor to the chili. Add more heat with cayenne powder.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper is perfect for adding flavor to the chili.
- Cheddar cheese: You can use white cheddar or a medium or sharp yellow cheddar.
- Sour cream: Sour cream adds creaminess to the final product. However, you can skip it, if you don’t like it.
- Avocado: Freshly chopped avocados are so good. You can also add freshly chopped cilantro.
Why Use An Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is one of the most useful kitchen appliances you can buy, because it drastically cuts down on the cooking time for developing flavors in soups and stews, getting tough cuts of meat tender, and even baking a cheesecake. And there are many accessories that will help you get more out of your Instant Pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Chili
The joy of this chili is that it’s a one-pot, dump recipe. All you really need to do is add all the ingredients to the pot and turn it on.
Here are simple steps that you need to follow for making instant pot chicken chili.
Step 1: Add all the ingredients to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
Step 2: Lock on the Instant Pot lid. Press the Pressure Cook button and set the timer for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Once the timer is up, let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes. Manually release the remaining pressure.
Step 4: Remove the lid and shred the chicken using a fork. You can pull the chicken out of the pot to shred it and then return it when you’re done, or just do it in the pot. Add shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream to the soup and stir it all up.
When you serve it, you can add freshly chopped avocado and sour cream on top as a garnish. I also like to add a little cilantro.
How to Store Instant Pot Chicken Chili
You can store any leftover chicken chili in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 4 days. You just want to make sure it has fully cooled down before putting it away.
You can also freeze this chili to have for later. This is a great way to do meal prep. Make a large batch of this chicken chili, then put it away in individual containers in the freezer. They’ll keep for up to three months, as long as they’re in an air tight storage method – a container or ziplock bag.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- Bread: Whether it is garlic bread or cornbread, you can serve it alongside chicken chili.
- Tortillas: Tortilla chips and nachos are also a great side with chicken chili.
- Corn on the cob: Corn on the Cob can be made in the Instant Pot and come out perfect every time.
- Rice: Try serving it with cooked brown or white rice. Ladle chili on top of the rice and enjoy.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot
- 2 14.5 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth use more salt if your broth is low sodium
- 1 large chicken breast, halved approximately 8 oz
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 10 ounce can of corn, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced or chopped for garnish
- Add the first 10 ingredients, from the beans to the black pepper, to the Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot. Press the Pressure Cook button and set the cook time to 20 minutes. Allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Shred the chicken using a fork. You can pull the chicken out of the pot to shred it and then return it when you’re done, or just do it in the pot.
- Add the cheese and sour cream. Stir well. Serve with extra sour cream, cheese and avocado as a garnish, if desired.
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest.
Laura spends a lot of her time cooking and creating recipes to share. She loves traveling and learning about new foods around the world to bring into her own recipes at home.