Instant Pot black beans are super quick to make. With three simple ingredients and no soaking necessary, you can cook black beans in an Instant Pot in just 30 minutes.
» You might also like Instant Pot Jasmine Rice and Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta.
Instant Pot black beans are definitely the way to go when cooking your own beans. Since black beans are very versatile, you can use them in several dishes like salads, stews, and casseroles. Since dried black beans take a lot of time to cook on the stovetop, you can speed up the cooking process considerably thanks to the Instant Pot.
Black beans are very healthy and loaded with protein. But because the cooking time is more, people don’t often make them from dried, opting instead for canned beans, but you don’t need to do that anymore if you use your Instant Pot. Try these no soak chickpeas or baked beans made from dried beans cooked in the Instant Pot.
Ingredients You’ll Need
With these three simple ingredients, you can quickly cook black beans in your Instant Pot, without the need to soak them first. Keep in mind that 1 cup of dried beans produces about 2 ½ cups cooked beans. You can double or triple the recipe, as needed.
- Dried black beans: The main ingredient is dried black beans. There are many types of black beans you can purchase, including Domino, Black Magic, Blackhawk, Condor, and Raven, but Black turtle beans are the most common and the most readily available in grocery stores.
- Salt: Add salt to season the black beans so that they soak up flavor and are not bland.
- Water: You will need plenty of water to cook the black beans. You could also use broth for more flavor, but be sure to use low-sodium so they aren’t too salty.
How to Make Instant Pot Black Beans
If you want to dissipate some of the raffinose that causes the build up of gas in the gut, soak them for 1 hour in cold water, then drain. This is not a necessary step. If you don’t have a problem digesting black beans, you don’t need to soak them.
Add the beans, salt, and water (or broth, if you’re using it) to the Instant Pot.
Lock on the lid and set the vent to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes. It will take about 5 minutes to come up to pressure.
When the time is up, allow the steam to release naturally, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and stir the beans. If they aren’t as soft as you like them, put them back on for another 5 minutes with a quick pressure release.
If you’re doubling or tripling the recipe, be very careful when you release pressure or remove the lid, because the water can bubble up and bubbles can blow out the vent. This doesn’t happen if you let the pressure completely release naturally.
Tips and Substitutions
Here are a few tips and substitution ideas that will give you good results and make your Instant Pot black beans taste even better:
- Broth: You can use chicken broth instead of water to cook the beans. This will add more flavor to the beans. Add chicken bouillons to the water if you don’t have chicken broth. If you are a vegan, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. Opt for low-sodium.
- Spices: For more flavor, add spices like cumin, bay leaf, onion or garlic powder. You can also season the cooked black beans with black pepper or a dash of paprika.
- Veggies: You can cook the beans with onion and red pepper for an additional boost of flavor.
- For soft beans: If you like the beans to be softer, cook them for 35 minutes instead of 30 minutes.
Why Use An Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is one of the most useful kitchen appliances you can buy, because it drastically cuts down on the cooking time for developing flavors in soups and stews, getting tough cuts of meat tender, and even baking a cheesecake. And there are many accessories that will help you get more out of your Instant Pot.
If you don’t have one yet, check out our guide on which one to buy. Also see our guide to How to Use an Instant Pot for more information.
- Don’t Have an Instant Pot Yet? This guide can help you choose the right one.
- See reviews and prices for Instant Pots on Amazon.
- Learn some great Instant Pot Tips & Tricks.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Instant Pot.
Frequently Asked Questions
What cook setting do I use on the Instant Pot for beans?
Not all Instant Pots have a Bean/Chili setting, so I recommend just using the pressure cook or manual setting, so everyone has the same experience. However, the bean setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at high pressure for 30 minutes, so it’s the same as setting it manually.
Do you have to soak dried black beans before cooking them?
Soaking the dried black beans before cooking is not essential. However, when you soak the beans, they release raffinose, which can cause bloating in some people. As you discard the water you get rid of the gasses. If this is a problem you have, you might want to soak the beans for an hour before cooking. However, soaking the beans to make sure they are tender and cook faster is not a concern in the Instant Pot.
Is rinsing the dried beans necessary?
Yes. Rinse the black beans in the water a couple of times to get rid of dirt and debris.
Are black beans healthy?
Yes, black beans are very healthy. They are not just rich in protein but are also low in calories. They aid in weight loss, and the fiber in them aids in regulating the digestive system. They are also rich in antioxidants which protect the body against chronic diseases like cancer and several heart diseases. They also strengthen the bones.
How to Use Black Beans
We like to eat black beans as a side dish of their own, alongside whatever main dish. They are also great alongside tacos or burritos.
Other uses for black beans include:
- Tortilla soup
- Burrito bowls
- Carnitas burritos
- Soups & stews
- Black bean dip
Main Dishes to Serve This With
This is a great side dish to serve with just about any main dish protein. I like to serve it with chicken and pork. Here are a few options to enjoy:
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest boards! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes! You can also find us on Facebook!
Easy Instant Pot Black Beans
Note: Made in a 6-qt Instant Pot
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups warm water or chicken broth
- Add beans, salt, and water (or broth) to the Instant Pot.
- Lock on the lid and set the vent to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes. It will take about 5 minutes to come up to pressure.
- When the time is up, allow the steam to release for 20 minutes and then release any remaining steam. Remove the lid and stir the beans. If they aren’t as soft as you like them, put them back on for another 5 minutes with a quick pressure release.
If you prefer soft beans, cook for 35 minutes.
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite recipes over at A Food Lover’s Kitchen, and you’ll find air fryer recipes at Air Fry Anytime, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Pin it for later
Laura is a passionate home cook and the owner of A Pressure Cooker Kitchen. She is dedicated to helping people create delicious Instant Pot meals with ease. Laura is an expert at developing recipes that can be prepared quickly and easily using a pressure cooker.