This recipe originally appeared on A Food Lover’s Kitchen.
Instant Pot Chicken & Broccoli is a great dinner when you’re looking for an easy, savory, and delicious meal that will come together within an hour.
Be sure to check out our Instant Pot guide to learn more about how to use your Instant Pot.
When it comes to making favorites in the instant pot, Chicken & Broccoli certainly comes to mind. This becomes super easy in the instant pot, and can be whipped up in as little as half an hour! The perfect dinner for a busy weeknight.
The chicken takes just 4 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. The broth that forms in the pot as the chicken cooks is then combined with a cornstarch slurry sauce to make a thick and tasty glaze for the dish.
Ingredients to Make Instant Pot Chicken & Broccoli
- Chicken breast or thigh cubed
- Broccoli florets
- Cooking oil
- Chicken broth
- Cooked rice
For the sauce
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Chili oil- like Lee Kum Chiu Chow Chili Oil
- Ginger, freshly grated
- Garlic, minced
- Sesame oil
- Chinese cooking wine- like Mirin
- Corn starch
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli in the Instant Pot
Start by cutting the chicken and broccoli into small pieces. They should be around the same size, which makes eating it more enjoyable. Large pieces of broccoli aren’t as fun to eat.
Mix up the sauce. Add 1 tbsp of the sauce to the chicken and set it aside to marinate for a few minutes while you cook the broccoli.
» You might also like this Beef & Broccoli Noodles recipes.
I use the saute mode on the Instant Pot to cook the broccoli for 5 minutes. Just add cooking oil to the pot, pour in the broccoli florets and let them sizzle, stirring occasionally.
Once they’re done, remove them to a bowl and set aside. Turn off the Instant Pot. As the chicken cooks, the broccoli will continue to steam so they’ll be the perfect tenderness.
Just a quick note about the broccoli. You don’t want to cook the broccoli under pressure. It cooks so quickly that even setting the Instant Pot to zero minutes is too much and will leave them mushy and overcooked.
If you’re using store-bought broccoli in a steamer bag, go ahead and steam the broccoli instead of sauteing, if you want.
Next, add the chicken and the chicken broth to the pot. Close the lid and set the vent to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Do a manual pressure release when done.
Add the broccoli back to the pot and turn on Saute mode again. Add the cornstarch to the remaining sauce you mixed up earlier and pour it into the pot. As it heats up, the sauce will start to bubble and thicken.
Let it bubble for about 3 minutes. Serve the chicken and broccoli with rice, cauliflower rice, or over noodles.
Why Use An Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is an incredible tool in the kitchen for making dishes that usually take a long time. If you don’t have one yet, check out our guide on which one to buy. You can also read up on how to use it, in case you’re not sure if it’s for you.
The Instant Pot drastically cuts down the cooking time for cuts of meat that usually have to cook slowly for a long time in order to become tender. And there are many accessories you can use with it to cook in lots of different styles. It’s one of the most useful kitchen appliances you can buy.
You can use frozen diced chicken, if you want. Set the cook time to 5 minutes, if you do. Of course, you won’t be able to add the sauce to the chicken to marinate, so just add the sauce to the broth instead.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for a day or two. The broccoli really loses it’s luster after that and will be less appealing to eat.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Instant Pot Chicken & Broccoli
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast or thigh cubed
- 1 large head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked rice
For the Sauce
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chili oil such as Lee Kum Chiu Chow Chili Oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 1 tbsp ginger freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine such as Mirin
- 1 tsp corn starch
- red chili flakes
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onion sliced
- Mix the sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch, in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp of the sauce to the chicken. Stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the cooking oil. When hot, add the broccoli and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the pot. Cancel saute mode.
- Add the chicken to the Instant Pot, along with chicken broth. Lock the lid and turn the vent to sealing. Press the pressure cook button and set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes (high pressure).
- When the time is up, do a manual release of pressure and remove the lid.
- Add the corn starch to the remaining sauce and stir it until smooth.
- Press saute mode again and add the broccoli back to the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli. Stir well and allow the sauce to thicken for about 3 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot. Serve over rice, if desired.